Recycling and Waste

Recycling and Waste

The City of St Charles offers a recycling program through the City's refuse contractor, Advanced Disposal. Details on recyclables can be found on the City's recycling program page.

Polystyrene, Styrofoam Recycling

Polystyrene or Styrofoam items such as egg cartons, meat trays, some fast food containers, packing materials and peanuts are not picked up by Advanced Disposal for recycling. There are options listed below for recycling these materials. DART Container Corporation in North Aurora has a drop off location at their site. Their address, phone number and a link are provided below for information. Please note they do not accept packaging peanuts.

Recycling Styrofoam Peanuts - An alternative for packaging, shipping peanuts is taking them to the local UPS or mailing stores. They may be glad to take them. There is actually a Peanut Hotline that will give you a location in the area. The number is 800-828-2214.

DART Container Corporation
310 Evergreen Drive, North Aurora, IL
Phone: 630-896-4631
Foam Recycling Brochure

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Why CFL? The City promotes the use of compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs as an energy savings. CFL bulbs use significant less energy than the incandescent bulbs they replace and last much longer. Two years ago, the City distributed 5,000 CFL bulbs to the community. The City has provided $1 off coupons as stuffers in the monthly utility bills to promote the use of CFL bulbs.

How do I recycle them? Because each compact fluorescent light bulb contains a small amount of mercury, proper disposal is important. Swirled compact fluorescent bulbs may be taken to any Lowes or Home Depot for recycling (see the service desk). Regular fluorescent tube-style bulbs should be brought to the Naperville Fire Station #4 during their regular Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off times.

Medical Waste Disposal (Sharp Medical Objects)

sharp medical wasteSharps, needles and syringes may be disposed through the City's refuse contractor on your regular refuse day. To discard place needles, point first, into a thick plastic bottle, like a detergent bottle. Place a cup or two of water in the container and label the container "Do Not Recycle" with a bold marker. When the container is over half full, tape the lid on with duct tape and place it in your regular refuse container on your regular refuse day.

Medication Disposal Program

medicationsFor several years the St. Charles Police Department has implemented a  Prescription Drug Disposal Program in an effort to dispose of unwanted or unused medication.  The drug disposal policy however has changed since its introduction. This service is now available only to residents living within the city limits of St. Charles. Proof of current residency will be required. The Police front desk personnel will issue a Police property bag, once residency is confirmed. Residents will transfer unpackaged and loose pharmaceuticals into the bag; liquids however may remain in their bottles.

The front desk personnel will accept the sealed property bag and place it into the disposal unit located inside the Police Records Office. The disposal unit was made available through donations from Kane County TRIAD, Provena Pineview Care Center and the St. Charles Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association.

For alternative disposal please check the Kane County Recycles website at:

Please Note: Sharps, over-the-counter items, inhalers, or any pressurized containers are not accepted. (Please see Medical Waste Disposal above for appropriate disposal.) The disposal program will not accept medication from any entity authorized to dispense prescription drugs, including but not limited to, pharmacies and medical offices. 


electronicsMonday through Friday: St. Charles residents can dispose of their old electronics at the City of St. Charles Public Works facility, 1405 S. 7th Ave., Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The City’s Electronics Recycling Drop-Off program offers a way to properly dispose of home electronics, which were banned from landfills in Illinois as of Jan. 1, 2012.

Computers, TVs, DVD players, printers and power tools are some examples of what can be recycled. A complete list of acceptable items is available as a PDF download. It is also posted at the drop-off facility. Items that will not be accepted include white goods, large appliances, extra-large wooden speakers, loose batteries and household hazardous waste. The program is a partnership between the City and Kane County.

Second Saturdays: The Kane County Circuit Clerk facility at 540 S. Randall Road will continue to serve as a drop-off location for electronics on the second Saturday of each month, 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon.  Check the Kane County Recycles web site for more information, the complete list of acceptable items and the current year’s recycling dates.

Items should be put in the containers provided. Large televisions can be placed on the floor towards the back. Please note there is no assistance available for unloading.

For more information, contact the Public Works Department at 630-377-4405.

Recycle My Fridge Program

recycle my fridgeGot an old refrigerator you have been meaning to get rid of?  Well, now's the time.  The City of St. Charles is participating in the Recycle My Fridge Program, which offers residents free pickup and recycling of their old refrigerators and freezers.  Simply call 877-341-2313 (toll free) or visit to learn more and to schedule a free pickup of your old, 10-to-30 cubic foot secondary refrigerator or freezer.  The appliances must be in working condition, owned by the resident, and picked up from the residential address listed on the billing account.  As a thank you, you will receive a $35 prepaid rebate card within four to six weeks.

The program is conducted by the Illinois Municipal Electric Agency, in conjunction with the Appliance Recycling Centers of America (ARCA), Inc.  There is a limit of two appliances per household per year.  For more information, contact Tom Bruhl, Electric Services Manager - Electric Utility at 630-377-4407.


The Kane County Recycling Coordinator has scheduled regular collections of books at the Kane County Circuit Clerk’s building, 540 S. Randall Road, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., on the second Saturday of each month. Both hardbound and paperback books (in any condition) are collected and recycled. 

Used Motor Oil & Batteries

Used motor oil and batteries will no longer be picked up by Advanced Disposal. These items may be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off in Naperville, call: 630-420-6095.

Used motor oil is also accepted in the Kane County Household Hazardous Waste program.

Additional recycling resources may be found at: Call2Recylce or

Household Hazardous Waste

The Household Hazardous Waste Drop off is located at 156 Fort Hill Drive in Naperville. They are open every Saturday and Sunday (except for holidays) from 9am-2pm. Please visit the Kane County Recycles website for more information on Household Hazardous Waste.

Weekly Collection Guidelines

The weekly recycling collection guidelines are posted on the City's website.


Local Resources