You are here

Parking and Traffic

Can I leave my car parked on the street overnight?

The City of St. Charles does not ban parking on city streets overnight as many towns do, but there are restrictions on the vehicles that may park overnight. The ordinance, 10.40.010 C says it is unlawful to park any ". . . pickup camper with a cap that exceeds six inches above the cab roof, a van that exceeds its manufacturer's height, motor home, mobile home, trailer, boat trailer, tractor, bus, truck which has a gross carrying weight in excess of three-fourths ton, and any vehicle equipped with an attached snowplow, on any street, alley, or parkway between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.

If you are unsure about your vehicle or would like to report a violation, create a service request at the St. Charles Connect link below or contact the Police Department at 630-377-4435. Please note, services requests are only monitored during regular City business hours Monday-Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm.

How do I dispute a parking ticket?

Limited to parking tickets issued by the City of St. Charles Police Department.

If you believe that a parking ticket was issued improperly, you may appeal by filling out a Parking Ticket Review Form online or filling out the form at the Police front desk Monday through Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m., or Saturday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Or you may request a hearing at the City’s monthly Administrative Adjudication by contacting the Police front desk at 630-377-4435. Administrative Adjudication is a proceeding in front of a hearing officer who listens to evidence presented by the City of St. Charles and by the accused who then makes a determination of liability or non-liability. Such hearings can be utilized for non-criminal offenses that are punishable only by fine. The hearing officer is an attorney licensed by the State of Illinois. Illinois statutes allow for an appeal of the hearing officer's determination in the circuit court.

Such hearings allow the accused to present their case in a less formal atmosphere where the strict rules of evidence in the circuit court do not necessarily apply. The hearings are scheduled for the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at City Hall, making these hearings much more accessible than the circuit court. These hearings are designed for a fair and efficient disposition of an alleged ordinance violation. All unpaid tickets will be sent through this process.

How do I pay a parking ticket?

Limited to traffic tickets issued by St. Charles police officers.

A St. Charles parking ticket can be paid by mail or in person. If paying in person, you can pay at the Utility Billing office in the Municipal Building 2 E. Main St. during regular business hours 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Acceptable forms of payment include cash, personal check or money order. If you are paying with cash and do not have exact change, please pay at the Utility Billing office, as the Police Department cannot make change. If you are paying by check, please make it payable to: City of St. Charles.

The amount of the fine is identified on the parking ticket and varies depending upon the violation and number of previous tickets incurred in the last 12 months.