You are here

Stray/Wild Animal

What do I do when I see a stray dog or injured wild animal in my yard or neighborhood?

DO NOT approach the animal. Try to keep your distance and if possible go into your home or other shelter where the animal cannot reach you.

Call 911

Provide the Tri-Com communications center with as much information about the animal as you can. If possible, answer the following questions:

  • What type of an animal is it? (Dog, cat, fox, opossum, skunk, raccoon, deer, coyote, squirrel)
  • What is the problem with the animal? (stray, injured, possibly dangerous)
  • Why do you think there is a problem?

An officer will be dispatched to determine the extent of the problem and whether the City of St. Charles can assist.  If not, the officer may suggest either Kane County Animal Control or a private service to resolve the problem.

Do not hesitate to dial 911 for an animal problem

For additional information regarding Kane County Animal Control, contact them at

updated Apr 02, 2013

Help topic

Police Department

Phone (630) 377-4435
Monday - Friday 24 hrs.
Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m. to midnight
Fax (630) 377-1078
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
If you need a police response outside of the hours listed above, call 911.
Emergency/After Hours
1515 W. Main Street
St. Charles, IL 60174