The benefits to having CLG Status include:
- The City plays a direct role in the National Register of Historic Places nomination process.
- The City is eligible to receive grant funds set aside specifically for CLG projects.
- The City may participate in other state and federal historic preservation programs.
- The City may receive direct technical assistance from the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency (IHPA).
- Owners of income-producing property in the Historic District may be eligible for Federal Income Tax Credits.
- Homeowners may be eligible for a property tax freeze relative to improvements made in compliance with The Historic Preservation Ordinance.