Photo: City Clerk Charles Amenta; Public Works Director Peter Suhr; Aldermen Ed Bessner, Maureen Lewis, Lora Vitek, Ronald Silkaitis; Mayor Raymond Rogina; Chief of Police James Keegan; Aldermen William Turner, Dan Stellato, Todd Bancroft, Rita Payleitner, Steven Gaugel, Arthur Lemke; and City Administrator Mark Koenen, officially broke ground on the new St. Charles Police Station July 23. More photos are on our flickr photo site.
Construction of a new, 56,000 square-foot, two-story police station at 1515 W. Main Street kicked off with a Groundbreaking Ceremony July 23, 2018.
The new facility is being built on approximately 6.5 acres on the site of the former Valley Shopping Center. The $24.6 million project is expected to be completed by December 2019 and will support the City’s policing operations for the next 50 years.
It will replace the current police station at 211 N. Riverside Avenue, portions which date back nearly 100 years. After many retrofitting attempts over the years, the current facility has finally reached the end of its useful life.
This project breathes new life into an area that has remained vacant and in need of revitalization for several years. Its central location is ideal and provides easy access off Rt. 64/Main Street. Read the project Fact Sheet.
- 56,000 square-foot, two-story structure of brick, limestone and natural stone, with painted concrete and metal panels
- Sophisticated evidence room with bar-coding system
- Advanced lock-up facility, and a secured area for attorneys to speak with suspects in custody
- Modern layout with private and communal work spaces
- Attached squad car garage
- Training room
- Improved and enlarged locker rooms
- Wellness center
- Community room for public use
- LED for all interior lighting
- Regional stormwater detention system
- Metal and bricks from demolished buildings on the site were salvaged and repurposed.
Design: FGM Architects, Oak Brook, Ill.
Construction Manager: Riley Construction, Lake Bluff, Ill.