Determining the property tax levy is a multi-step process that incorporates several public meetings which allow for resident input. That process kicks off in the fall with the presentation to the City Council of a preliminary estimate of next year's (2019) property tax levy.
The property tax levy collected by the City helps fund 24/7 police, fire and public works services, planning, engineering and much more.
Why is it the 2019 Levy and Not the 2020 Levy?
Illinois property taxes are paid one year in arrears. Any payments made in 2020 actually will be applied towards 2019 taxes. Property tax bills sent in 2020 reflect 2019 taxes.
Steps in the City's Levy Process
- Preliminary Estimate of Levy - November 4, 2019
- Public Hearing - December 2, 2019
- Consideration of Levy Ordinance - December 2, 2019
- Debt Abatements - January 2020
- Levy Finalized - April 2020
The schedule of public meetings is on our website at www.stcharlesil.gov/meetings.