As part of the regular maintenance to the City’s water distribution system, the Public Works Water Division performs spring and fall hydrant flushing. By simply flushing hydrants to allow water to flow rapidly through them water quality is improved and mineral build-up in the water mains is minimized. Hydrant flushing also ensures that hydrants are ready for emergency use.
St. Charles is divided into zones for hydrant flushing: Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, and Northeast. Main Street (IL Rt 64) divides the north/south areas, and the Fox River divides the east/west. The spring 2019 hydrant flushing schedule:
- Northwest – Monday March 18 - Friday March 22
- Southwest – Monday March 25 - Friday March 29
- Southeast – Monday April 1 - Friday April 5
- Northeast (West of Dunham Road) – Monday April 8 - Friday April 12
- Northeast (East of Dunham Road) – Monday April 15 -Friday April 19
Please watch for signs announcing hydrant flushing. Flushing may start as early at 5 a.m. and continue through 4 p.m.
Please note water is safe to use and consume during hydrant flushing. However water may temporarily be rusty colored. Consider the following actions during hydrant flushing:
- It is best to limit your water use, if possible.
- If you experience rusty water, wait until flushing has subsided then run the cold water tap in your bathtub or utility sink until it runs clear (or in 10 minute increments).
- Remember rust-colored water is safe, but it may stain laundry. If this happens, keep clothes wet and treat them with stain remover.
Resident can pick up free stain remover at:
- Public Works, 1405 South 7th Avenue
- City Hall, Reception Desk, 2 East Main Street
- Police Department, 211 North Riverside Avenue
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at 630.377.4405 or email@example.com.