2023 Fall Hydrant Flushing Program
As part of the regular maintenance to the City’s water distribution system, the Public Works Water Division performs spring and fall hydrant flushing. By simply flushing hydrants to allow water to flow rapidly through them [in a controlled manner], water quality is improved and mineral build-up in the water mains is minimized. Hydrant flushing also ensures that hydrants are ready for emergency use.
The fall 2023 hydrant flushing dates are between October 9th and November 17th.
Please watch for message boards and signs announcing hydrant flushing which will be posted by the Water Division. Please check the below for flushing updates.
Flushing may start as early at 5 a.m. and continue through 4 p.m.
Please note water is safe to use and consume during hydrant flushing, however, residents may temporarily experience rusty colored water. Public Works recommends residents take the following steps during hydrant flushing:
- It is best to limit your water use, if possible.
- If you experience rusty water, wait until flushing has subsided then run the cold water tap in your bathtub or utility sink until it runs clear (or in 10 minute increments).
- Remember rust colored water is safe, but it may stain laundry. If this happens, keep clothes wet and treat them with stain remover.
The City offers a stain removal product at no cost to residents at the following facilities:
- Public Works, 1405 South 7th Avenue
- City Hall, Reception Desk, 2 East Main Street
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at 630-377-4405 or email@example.com