First Street Project
About the Project
- The First Street project is a mixed use downtown redevelopment project spanning five downtown blocks along First Street, in the area generally bound by Main St. (IL Rt. 64) on the north, the Fox River on the east, Prairie Street on the south, and 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) on the west.
- The initial phases of the project included reconstruction of streets/sidewalks and utilities along First Street, relocation and expansion of the Blue Goose Market, construction of the 430-space parking garage building, and the creation of the West Plaza adjacent to the Main Street businesses.
- The riverfront portion of the project will be completed in 2020. This area includes three mixed-use buildings, a public parking deck, an extension of the First Street plaza continuing east to the riverfront, and a bi-level pedestrian riverwalk.
- Construction on the next two buildings (known as Building #7B and #8) is expected to begin in fall 2020.
- Recently presented plans can be viewed in the Project Documents menu.
Building #2- Recently completed
- Building #2, known as Riverloft, is nearly complete. The building is 5 story, with first floor retail and restaurant use, second floor office use, and upper floor residential condominiums (15 units).
- The developer of Building #2 is First Street Development II, LLC.
City Riverwalk and East Plaza- Now open; expansion planned in 2021
- The riverwalk has been extended to the from Illinois Street north to connect with the First Street East Plaza, located opposite the existing West Plaza on the west side of First Street.
- Plans are being developed for the next phase of the East Plaza, which will expand the plaza into the vacant property at the southeast corner of Main Street and First Street. Construction on the expansion is planned in 2021.
Building #7B (First Street, grass lot east of Blue Goose):
- The City approved plans for a 4-story, 21 unit residential building to be constructed on the grass lot east of Blue Goose. Construction is expected to begin in Fall 2020.
- The developer of Building #7B is R&B Development LLC.
Building #8 (NE corner of Rt. 31 & Illinois):
- The City approved plans for Building #8, a 3-story commercial building, to be located on the vacant lot at the northeast corner of S. 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) and Illinois Street. Construction may begin as soon as Fall 2020.
- The developer of Building #8 is STC Lot 4, LLC / Frontier Development.
For more information, contact the Community & Economic Development Department at (630) 377-4443.