First Street Project
About the Project
- The First Street project is a mixed use downtown redevelopment project spanning five downtown blocks along First Street, in the area generally bound by Main St. (IL Rt. 64) on the north, the Fox River on the east, Prairie Street on the south, and 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) on the west.
- The first two phases of the project completed in 2009 included reconstruction of streets/sidewalks and utilities along First Street, relocation and expansion of the Blue Goose Market, construction of the 430-space parking garage building, and the creation of the West Plaza adjacent to the Main Street businesses.
- The riverfront portion of the project, known as Phase 3, began construction in 2015. When completed in 20120, this area will include three mixed-use buildings, a public parking deck, an extension of the First Street plaza continuing east to the riverfront, and a bi-level pedestrian riverwalk.
- Recently presented plans can be viewed in the Project Documents menu.
Building #2- Recently completed
- Building #2, known as Riverloft, is nearly complete. The building is 5 story, with first floor retail and restaurant use, second floor office use, and upper floor residential condominiums (15 units).
- The developer of Building #2 is First Street Development II, LLC.
City Riverwalk and East Plaza- Substantially completed, full opening in Spring 2020
- In 2019, the riverwalk was extended to the north from Illinois Street to connect with a new East Plaza, located opposite the existing West Plaza on the west side of First Street.
- Construction is nearly complete as of winter 2019. Final details including landscape plantings, railings, benches, and lighting will be installed in time for the full opening of the Riverwalk and East Plaza in Spring 2020.
Building #8 (NE corner of Rt. 31 & Illinois):
- The City approved plans for Building #8, to be located on the vacant lot at the northeast corner of S. 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) and Illinois Street. Construction may begin as soon as early 2020.
- The developer of Building #8 is STC Lot 4, LLC / Frontier Development.
For more information, contact the Community & Economic Development Department at (630) 377-4443.