First Street Project
About the Project
- The First Street project is a mixed use downtown redevelopment project spanning five downtown blocks along First Street, in the area generally bound by Main St. (IL Rt. 64) on the north, the Fox River on the east, Prairie Street on the south, and 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) on the west.
- The initial phases of the project included reconstruction of streets/sidewalks and utilities along First Street, relocation and expansion of the Blue Goose Market, construction of the 430-space parking garage building, and the creation of the Plaza west of First Street, adjacent to the Main Street businesses.
- The riverfront portion of the project was completed in 2020. This area includes three mixed-use buildings, a public parking deck, an extension of the First Street plaza east to the riverfront, and a bi-level pedestrian riverwalk.
- Recent plans for future projects can be viewed in the Project Documents menu.
First Street Plaza Expansion
- Plans are being developed for expansion of the Plaza into the vacant property at Main Street. Initial construction on the plaza expansion is anticipated to start in fall 2021.
Building #7B (First Street, east of Blue Goose):
- Construction is underway on a 4-story, 21 unit residential building located east of Blue Goose.
- The developer of Building #7B is R&B Development LLC.
Building #8 (NE corner of Rt. 31 & Illinois):
- The City approved plans for Building #8, a 3-story commercial building, to be located on the vacant lot at the northeast corner of S. 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) and Illinois Street. The construction schedule has not been finalized.
- The developer of Building #8 is STC Lot 4, LLC / Frontier Development.
For more information, contact the Community & Economic Development Department at (630) 377-4443.