First Street Project
About the Project
The First Street project is a mixed use downtown redevelopment project spanning five downtown blocks along First Street, in the area generally bound by Main St. (IL Rt. 64) on the north, the Fox River on the east, Prairie Street on the south, and 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) on the west.
The first two phases of the project completed in 2009 included reconstruction of streets/sidewalks and utilities along First Street, relocation and expansion of the Blue Goose Market, construction of the 430-space parking garage building, and the creation of the West Plaza adjacent to the Main Street businesses.
Recently presented plans can be viewed in the Project Documents menu.
For more information on the history of the project, approved plans, and updates on the construction activity, visit the Building First Street website: www.1ststreet.org
Building #2: Under Construction
- The riverfront portion of the project, known as Phase 3, began construction in 2015. When completed in 2019, this area will include three mixed-use buildings, a public parking deck, an extension of the First Street plaza continuing east to the riverfront, and a bi-level pedestrian riverwalk.
- Building #2, known as Riverloft, is under construction along First Street, south of Main Street. This building will be 5 story, with first floor retail and restaurant use, second floor office use, and upper floor residential condominiums (15 units).
- The developer of Phase 3 is First Street Development II, LLC.
Riverwalk and East Plaza: Planning underway
- A portion of the Riverwalk near Illinois Street was completed in 2018. In 2019, this riverwalk will be extended to the north to connect with a new East Plaza, located opposite the existing West Plaza on the west side of First Street.
- Conceptual plans were presented to the Plan Commission and Planning & Development Committee for feedback in October-November 2018.
- Final Engineering plans for the remaining riverwalk and east plaza are currently under development.
Building #8 (NE corner of Rt. 31 & Illinois): Plans approved
- The City recently approved plans for Building #8, to be located on the vacant lot at the northeast corner of S. 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) and Illinois Street. Construction is expected to begin on Building #8 in late 2019.
- The developer of Building #8 is STC Lot 4, LLC / Frontier Development.
For more information, contact the Community & Economic Development Department at (630) 377-4443.