First Street Project
About the Project
- The First Street project is a mixed use downtown redevelopment project spanning five downtown blocks along First Street, in the area generally bound by Main St. (IL Rt. 64) on the north, the Fox River on the east, Prairie Street on the south, and 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) on the west.
- The first two phases of the project completed in 2009 included reconstruction of streets/sidewalks and utilities along First Street, relocation and expansion of the Blue Goose Market, construction of the 430-space parking garage building, and the creation of the West Plaza adjacent to the Main Street businesses.
- The riverfront portion of the project, known as Phase 3, began construction in 2015. When completed in 2019, this area will include three mixed-use buildings, a public parking deck, an extension of the First Street plaza continuing east to the riverfront, and a bi-level pedestrian riverwalk.
- Recently presented plans can be viewed in the Project Documents menu.
- For more information on the history of the project, approved plans, and updates on the construction activity, visit the Building First Street website: www.1ststreet.org
Building #2: Under Construction
- Building #2, known as Riverloft, is under construction along First Street, south of Main Street. This building will be 5 story, with first floor retail and restaurant use, second floor office use, and upper floor residential condominiums (15 units).
- The developer of Building #2 is First Street Development II, LLC.
City Riverwalk and East Plaza: Construction to begin this summer
- A portion of the Riverwalk near Illinois Street was completed in 2018. This year, the riverwalk will be extended to the north to connect with a new East Plaza, located opposite the existing West Plaza on the west side of First Street.
- Design plans were approved by the City Council in July 2019. Construction will begin later this summer.
Building #8 (NE corner of Rt. 31 & Illinois):
- The City approved plans for Building #8, to be located on the vacant lot at the northeast corner of S. 2nd Street (IL Rt. 31) and Illinois Street. Construction may begin as soon as late 2019.
- The developer of Building #8 is STC Lot 4, LLC / Frontier Development.
For more information, contact the Community & Economic Development Department at (630) 377-4443.