These services are for residents living within the city limits of St. Charles
City of St. Charles residents may select between two program options for garbage collection. Program options include a refuse sticker program and a refuse subscription program. For more information on the program(s) offered, please read below.
Refuse Sticker Program
City of St. Charles residents would need one sticker attached to each item (individual receptacles, containers, plastic bags, or boxes) to have the LRS team service. These stickers would also be used to remove any extra garbage, yard waste and organics.
Non-LRS Resident Owned Containers
- Non-LRS containers must have two handles or a grip
- Garbage must be contained and fit inside the container when full
- Non-LRS containers may not exceed 33 gallons
- Loose garbage bags may not exceed 33 gallons, and must be securely tied
- Bags and containers may not exceed 50 lbs. when full
Stickers placed on trash cans must be visible from the street and looped around the handles for the LRS driver to easily rip it off. Residents risk not having their garbage picked up if they affix stickers flatly onto a garbage can or lid.
LRS does also offer City of St. Charles residents the option of purchasing 20-gallon waste bags that are sold in rolls of 10 at select locations.
Refuse Subscription Program
For a monthly fee that is billed quarterly by LRS, City of St. Charles residents can choose from a 95-gallon, 65-gallon or 35-gallon trash container to be delivered to their home. This will be used for weekly collection services.
Residents may use personal containers for any extra refuse that doesn’t fit inside the LRS issued cart. Non-LRS containers may not exceed 33-gallons or 50lbs when full. Resident owned containers must also be watertight and have two (2) handles. LRS is not responsible for damage to personal carts as they are not compatible with our equipment.
Any requests for changes in services should be communicated to LRS Customer Service at 630-581-8650.
Curbside Refuse & Recycling Collection Schedule
- Monday for residents living east of the river
- Tuesday for residents living west of the river
Curbside Refuse & Recycling Collection
- Refuse Carts: Refuse carts are available for monthly rental and come in three sizes: 35-gallon, 65-gallon and 95-gallon
- Recycling Carts: Recycling collection is free. Lakeshore Recycling Systems provided everyone with a 65-gallon recycling cart.
- To request a different size, contact Lakeshore Recycling at 630.581.8650 or StCharles@LRSrecycles.com.
- Refuse Stickers/Half-Size Bags: If you use stickers or half-size bags, you can buy them at local retailers. (List located in FAQ's to the right.)
- Yard Waste: 65-gallon yard waste carts are available for monthly rental
- Curbside Composting: Beginning April 6, food scraps and other organic composting materials are collected for free on normal refuse collection days. Click here for program details.
- Bulk Items: Pick up of items under 50 lbs. require one sticker per item. White Goods (appliances) under 50 lbs. require one sticker per item. Please call Lakeshore Recycling (630-581-8650) before your regular refuse day to advise them that you will have a bulk item ready for pick up at the curbside.
- Mattresses: Lakeshore Recycling asks that residents wrap mattresses in plastic bags or shrink wrap before putting them at the curbside. Please call Lakeshore Recycling (630-581-8650) before your regular refuse day to advise them that you will have a mattress and ask them how many stickers are required.
Residents can put food scraps and other organic composting materials out at the curb along with regular yard waste for collection.
Holiday Collection Schedule
Holiday collection service will be provided one day later than the normal schedule on the holidays listed below:
New Year's Day
If a holiday falls on a Saturday, that actual day is the observed holiday.
If a holiday falls on a Sunday, then Monday would be the observed holiday.
Additional Collection Services
- Free bagged leaf collection through the month of December on your regular refuse day - this is in addition to regular City services
- Household Battery Recycling - Drop-off container at City of St. Charles Public Works, 1405 S. 7th Avenue, First Floor.
- Electronic Waste Collection
- TVs and monitors - 15 stickers per item
- E-waste (small box under 50lbs) - 5 stickers per bundle
- Single small e-waste item - 1 sticker per item
- Bundled yard waste collection—this service in addition to the City’s current brush and leaf collection programs; each bundle requires one sticker.