About the City of St. Charles
International employers, innovative schools, beautiful parks, local and regional resources, and unique architecture have earned St. Charles its reputation as the Pride of the Fox!
The City of St. Charles —
Pride of the Fox and More …
St. Charles has a land area of 15 square miles. Located in both DuPage and Kane County, the City of St. Charles is 35 miles west of downtown Chicago. State Highways 25, 31, 38 and 64 cross St. Charles, as do county thoroughfares Randall and Kirk Roads. Lights of St Charles, by Brian K Murphy Over 2,100 businesses employ over 34,200 people, consisting of a balanced mix of retailers, restaurants, and manufacturing facilities. They are assisted by an active Chamber of Commerce, a full service Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the Downtown St. Charles Partnership.
Did you know that the City of St. Charles was recently named one of the “150 Great Places in Illinois”?
The award was presented to the City in 2008 for the combined architectural work of the City Municipal Center, the Main Street Bridge, and the historic Hotel Baker. The St. Charles Municipal Building was built in 1940 as a donation from Col. Edward J. Baker and Mr. and Mrs. Lester J. Norris. With its prominent location on the east bank of the Fox River along Main Street, and its large 84´ tower, the Municipal Center is one of the most memorable buildings in town.
“The Fox River may physically divide the City, however at the same time the river brings us together,” said Mark Koenen, Director of Public Works. “The Main Street Bridge, re-constructed in 1997, connects the circa 1940 Municipal Center on the east bank with the 1928 Hotel Baker on the west bank. All three structures (bridge, hotel, and municipal center) contribute to the heritage of the City and are noteworthy architectural treasures,” he said.
In St. Charles - Official Song of the City of St. Charles
More About St. Charles
- St. Charles’ Patriotism on Display
- Police Dept. Earns 3rd Place Award in 2013 Illinois Traffic Safety Challenge
- The June Issue of the Den is Out
- Celebrating St. Charles' 180th Anniversary
- Inside St. Charles Blog is Back Online
- It's Official! St. Charles' 180th Anniversary Recognized in Washington
- Celebrating St. Charles 180th Anniversary
- The May Issue of the Den is Out
- Happy Birthday St. Charles!
- The City of St. Charles Retains its Aa1 Credit Rating from Moody's Investors Service
- Officers Receive Awards for Valor
- City Moves to Adopt Official Song
- Six Police Officers Honored with Awards for Valor
- Small Acts, Big Impacts
8:00am - 4:30pm, Mon-Fri
(includes Utility Billing & Building & Code Enforcement)