City Frequently Asked Questions

Address the Council at a public meeting

All City Council meetings are open to the public and include time for public comment at the end of the agenda.  Those who wish to address the City Council at a public meeting are not required to contact the City or fill out a form prior to the meeting.

Please contact the City Administrator`s Office at (630) 377-4422 or by email at with questions about the City Council meetings.

Am I required to restore my building or make it look old?

No. The Historic Preservation Ordinance  chapter 17.32, does not require you to restore your building or to make improvements when you don’t have any plans to do so.  Further, making a newer building look old is not required – in fact, it is contrary to the guidelines.  If you decide to improve your property or carry out repairs, the ordinance requires the project to be consistent with the overall architectural character of the building and the district as a whole.

BASSET training requirements and classes

It shall be the duty of every licensee to require their officers, associates, members, representatives, agents or employees who sell, give or deliver alcoholic liquor or beverages to be trained and certified by the Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training Program (BASSET) licensed and administered by the State of Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC). Further, BASSET training and certification shall be a prerequisite to the issuance of local liquor licenses. - From City of St.

Can aluminum, vinyl, cement board or other synthetic materials be used on buildings in the Historic District?

There is no specific rule prohibiting certain types of materials on buildings in the Historic District. This applies to siding, doors, windows, fences, or any other structure.

Decisions on the use of materials in the Historic District are made on a case-by-case basis by the Historic Preservation Commission. The Commission assesses each individual proposal against the standards in the Historic Preservation Ordinance for the purpose of issuing a "Certificate of Appropriateness" or COA.


updated May 26, 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? 

Ask a question or report a problem with the St. Charles Connect app.

FAQ Topics