Historic Preservation in St. Charles
The City's Historic Preservation Ordinance
was established to:
- Foster awareness of the City's unique history embodied in its architecture and historic sites.
- Protect the character of areas which have significant historic, architectural, or aesthetic features.
- Protect and increase property value of historic areas and designated sites.
The Historic Preservation Commission
is a group of citizens appointed to:
- Interpret and apply review standards to building permits applications and development projects in the Historic District.
- Review and recommend to the City Council on designation of new historic districts or landmarks.
- Inform and educate citizens of the historic and architectural heritage of the City.
- Consult and assist property owners of historic buildings.
- Review and recommend on Facade Improvement Grants.
State & National Resources