The City of St. Charles has adopted Historic Preservation Ordinances
for the purposes of:
- Fostering an awareness of the unique history of the City embodied in its architecture and historic sites
- Protecting the character of portions of the City which have significant historic, architectural, or aesthetic features
- Protecting and increasing the property value of historic areas and designated sites.
Through the Zoning Ordinance, the City Council has designated the Historic Preservation Commission
, an appointed citizen commission to:
- Interpret and apply review standards to building permits applications and new development projects in the Historic District
- Review and recommend to the City Council on designation of new Historic Districts or Landmark sites
- Inform and educate citizens of the historic and architectural heritage of the City
- Consult and assist property owners of historic buildings
The Historic Preservation Commission also reviews and recommends on projects for the Facade Improvement Grant Program.