Façade Improvement Grant Program
The Façade Improvement Program is a 50/50 matching grant program administered by the City of St. Charles to encourage the rehabilitation and restoration of downtown building facades. Many of the downtown renovation/restoration projects completed over the past 15 years were funded in part by this program.
Overview of the Program:
- A 50/50 matching grant – up to $10,000 per façade (defined as up to 30 ft. of frontage- larger amounts are available for larger buildings).
- Rear Entrance Improvement grants available for qualifying properties – 50/50 matching grants up to $10,000.
- 100% reimbursement of Architectural Services can be included in grant - up to $4,000.
- The Historic Preservation Commission can provide design guidance on how to meet the architectural standards.
- The application review process requires an approval recommendation by the Historic Preservation Commission and approval of a grant agreement by the City Council.
- Properties must be located with in the Downtown Special Service Area 1-B and be a building used for commercial purposes or a building containing two or more residential units.
- Properties used for commercial purposes located outside of SSA 1-B but within the Central Historic District may also be eligible for funding.
- The total project cost must exceed $1,000 for work on the exterior of the building. Lists of eligible and ineligible items are included in the application packet.
- The program has a limited budget for each grant year. Properties that have never received a grant in the past are given first priority for funding.
- Limitations apply to the overall grant amount. In general, the overall amount of grants for any property cannot exceed $20,000 within any five year period.
- Grants cannot be provided for work that has been completed prior to City Council approval of the Grant Agreement.
- The final grant amount will be based on the actual cost of work and cannot exceed 50% of the total cost of work or the total amount of the grant as specified in the grant agreement.
For more information please contact Russell Colby in the Community Development Department at (630)377-4443 or by e-mail at email@example.com.