Beginning April 6, 2020, St. Charles residents can put food scraps and other organic composting materials out at the curb along with regular yard waste for collection. Lakeshore Recycling Systems, the City of St. Charles refuse/recycling contractor, will pick up the compost material on regular collection days.
How the Program Works
- Mix the composting materials with regular yard waste (grass, leaves, twigs) in a:
- Brown paper yard waste bag, with a sticker
- Your own plastic container, no larger than 35-gallons, with a sticker
- Lakeshore Recycling Services yard waste cart (subscription required)
- Place at the curb for pick up on regularly scheduled refuse collection days
When is Compost Pick Up Available?
This is a seasonal program that is available only when yard waste pick up is offered, generally April through November.
- Fruits and vegetables
- Halloween pumpkins
- Dairy and eggs, including shells, but no liquids
- Breads, grains, pasta, and cereal
- Coffee grounds and filters
- Paper products, including paper towels, napkins, and tissues
- Meat, poultry and seafood
- Bones and shells
- Fats, grease, oil, and liquids
- Paper plates and utensils
- Plastic, styrofoam, glass, metal
- Pet waste
For details about the composting program and to enroll, contact Lakeshore Recycling Services at 773.685.8811 or StCharles@lrsrecycles.com.