You are here

Useful Local Information for Residents

The information on this page is provided for your convenience. Since many of these services are not provided by the City, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information given on outside sources. Please be assured that we have done our best to provide the most up-to-date information available. If you do see something that should be updated, please let us know!

Animal Control

The City does not have its own animal control department, although we do have specific ordinances relating to animals within the City limits. Animal control is a specific service handled by the Kane County Animal Control Department. For more information, visit

The City has worked with the St. Charles Park District to develop a Coyote Management Plan which offers tactics on safely coexisting with area coyotes.


If you suspect there might be, or are concerned about, asbestos in your home or business, please contact the Illinois Department of Health at (630) 293-6800.

Bicycle Maps

Bicycle maps are available at the St. Charles Park District offices, located at 101 South 2nd Street. Two of those maps are available online.

Birth and Death Records

This information is available by contacting the Kane County Clerk's office at (630) 232-5950.

Churches/Places of Worship

A listing of the churches, or places of worship, located in St. Charles is available on the City website's Business Listings pages.

City Flags

City of St. Charles flags are available for purchase ($45 for a 3'x5' flag) at the Utility Billing Office at the Municipal Building, 2 E. Main Street. For more information, please call (630) 377-4426.

Fishing Licenses

Fishing licenses are issued by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. You can apply for these licenses online at the IDNR web site, or you can obtain them from either the Wal-Mart store located at Route 64 and Smith Road, the Sports Authority on Randall Road, or Riverside Sports at the intersection of Routes 25 and 38.

Food Pantries /Donations

There are several area food pantries whereby residents can turn for assistance or to donate goods:

St. Peter's Parish

1891 Kaneville Rd., Geneva

(630) 232-0124

Salvation Army

1710 S. 7th Avenue

(630) 377-2769

Northern IL Food Bank

600 Industrial Drive

(630) 443-6910


Foreclosure Notices

In accordance with 735 ILCS 5/15-1503(b), Notice of Foreclosure, notices of foreclosure should be sent to the City Clerk at 2 E. Main St., St. Charles, IL 60174.

Handicap Parking Placards

Handicap parking placards are issued by the Secretary of State for either permanent or temporary disabilities. The City is an authorized agent to issue temporary disability placards (only) for residents who bring in a completed application with their doctor's signature. Temporary placards are issued for a 3 month period. For more information or to pick up an application, please contact the City Receptionist at (630) 377-4400.

History of St. Charles

St. Charles enjoys a rich and interesting history, the caretakers of which are the St. Charles Heritage Center staff and volunteer base. For more information about the history of St. Charles, please call the Heritage Center at (630) 584-6967, or visit them online at

Hotels and Lodging

Details and links to the many hotels in the St. Charles area are available by calling the St. Charles Convention and Visitor's Bureau at (630) 377-6161 (toll free at 800-777-4373), or by visiting them online at

Housing, Mortgage/Rental and Utility Bill Assistance

Library District

The St. Charles Public Library District is a separate municipal organization with its own boundaries, governing board and jurisdiction. Contact the Library District at (630) 584-0076, or visit their web site at

Marriage Licenses

Marriage license information is available from the Kane County Clerk's office at (630) 232-3400.

Medical and Health-Related

Visit the Community Resources for Public Safety page of the City's website for a listing of hospitals, clinics, and other health and safety-related local services.

Meeting Rooms

The City of St. Charles maintains 4 public meeting rooms at 2 E. Main Street that are used by the various boards and commissions serving the City. While these meetings take precedence over all other meetings, there are times that the rooms are available for public use on a first come-first served basis. If you are interested in utilizing one of the rooms or would like more information, please contact the City Receptionist at (630) 377-4400, or email your request to


For detailed information about parade events, or to participate in a parade, please contact either the Downtown St. Charles Partnership at (630) 513-5386 or the St. Charles Convention and Visitor's Bureau at (630) 377-6161. Street closure information pertaining to parades is posted on the City's web site in the News section, and general information may also be found in the City Newsletter, "The Den."

Park District

The St. Charles Park District is a separate municipal organization with its own boundaries, governing board and jurisdiction. Contact the Park District at (630) 584-1055, or visit their web site at

Parking Information

The City maintains 23 parking lots and three parking garages within walking distance of downtown. Find a map of City lots, as well as information on overnight parking restrictions and parking tickets here. For more information on parking, contact the Police Administration Division at (630) 377-4435 or


The City does not issue passports -- this is a function of the Kane County Clerk's Office. More information is available on their web site at or by calling (630) 232-5950. The Kane County Clerk's Office is located at 719 S. Batavia Avenue (Route 31) Geneva, and their office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and on Wednesday until 8:00 p.m.

Property Tax Assessments

Assessments on real estate within St. Charles Township is done by the St. Charles Township Tax Assessor's Office. These assessments are used as a basis to figure real estate taxes. For information on your home's assessment, please contact the Tax Assessor's Office at (630) 584-2040, or visit their web site at

Property Tax Bills

Real estate tax bills are prepared, sent out and collected by the Kane County Tax Extension Office, located at the Kane County Government Center, 719 Batavia Ave., Geneva, IL 60134. Questions about your tax bill may be directed to this office at (630) 232-5965. For tax assessment information, see the Property Tax Assessments section located above.

Radon Concerns

Radon questions on new construction can be addressed by the City’s Building Inspectors in the Building & Code Enforcement Division Office at (630) 377-4406. If your home is an existing home, the following websites will provide specific information on radon.

Real Estate Transfer Tax Stamps

Real Estate Transfer Tax stamps are not required in the City of St. Charles.


The St. Charles Convention and Visitor's Bureau has all the latest information on restaurants in St. Charles. Call them at (630) 377-6161 (toll free 800-777-4373) or visit them online at

River Status

The Fox River falls under the jurisdiction of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, however, the River status is monitored and posted online by the Kane County Office of Emergency Management. If you have any additional questions, the City's Fire Department may be able to help. They can be reached at (630) 377-4457.


The school district (Community Unit School District #303) is a separate municipal organization with its own boundaries, governing board and jurisdiction. Contact the school district at (331) 228-2000 or visit their web site at

Section 8 Housing

There presently are no Section 8 housing developments in St. Charles. For a listing of Section 8 housing in Illinois, please visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's web site, or call (312) 353-5680.

Senior Services

A compilation of available services for seniors in St. Charles is maintained by the City of St. Charles in the Senior Services Guide. The Guide is available to the public via mail or by pick-up at the Municipal Center reception area.

Senior Services Associates is a non-profit agency providing services to seniors and their families in Kane, Kendall, and McHenry Counties of Illinois. Services include assessment and case management, community care programs, information and referral, outreach, legal services, R.S.V.P transportation, senior companion programs, assistance with forms completion and much more. Their main office is located at 101 S. Grove, Elgin, IL 60120, 847-741-0404, toll free 800-942-1724, or online at

Sewer Services

Sewer services are handled by the City of St. Charles Public Works Department. If you have questions or concerns regarding sewage treatment or sewers backing up, please contact the Sewer Division staff at (630) 377-4405.

Shelters and Temporary Housing


The City of St. Charles enjoys an abundance of shopping opportunities. For more information about shopping in St. Charles, please visit the St. Charles Convention and Visitor's Bureau web site at If you are looking for a particular store, you may also find them in the business listings portion of our web site.

Tree Removal

The City of St. Charles does not remove trees from private property under any circumstances. The City may, however, request that a property owner remove a tree from their property if the tree is causing an unsafe condition for surrounding properties or other trees. For more information, please contact the Public Works Office at (630) 377-4405.

Tri-City Ambulance Billing

Billing for the Tri-City Ambulance service on behalf of Batavia, Geneva and St. Charles is handled by Andres Medical Billing. Questions regarding invoices should be directed to Andres Medical Billing at 847-577-8811.


Utility services provided by the City of St. Charles include electric, water, sewer and refuse. Additional information is available within our Community Profile, on our Services page and Utility Bills Online page.

Service transfers: Any persons or companies needing utility services transferred into their name are required to call or visit the Utility Billing Office at least one working day before move-in and request service be transferred. For more information, please contact our Utility Billing Division at (630) 377-4426 or by email at

Construction or maintenance questions should be directed to the City's Engineering office at (630) 377-4486, where they can direct you further depending on your specific request.

For JULIE locates, please call (800) 892-0123.

Utility Drop Box Locations

For the convenience of our customers, there are several drop box locations located throughout downtown St. Charles for utility payments.

  • In downtown St. Charles, behind the Municipal Building, in the parking lot next to the USPS mailbox.
  • At the Municipal Building, corner of Riverside and Main St., near the south entrance (facing east); use the slot in the door.
  • On the east side of St. Charles by the Super Cuts in the Foxfield Commons Shopping Center.

Voter Registration

The City of St. Charles is an authorized facility for registering voters. In order to register to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen, be 18 years of age by the next election, and reside in the precinct for 30 days prior to the next election. Existing registered voters need to re-register if their address or name changes. For additional information, please review the information provided by Kane County, call them at (630) 232-5990 or call the City's Utility Billing Office at (630) 377-4426.

Water Testing

If residents would like their water tested due to suspicion of contamination, they are welcome to contact our Public Works office. Water Division staff will be happy to answer questions or address any concerns, and will test water, if necessary. The City reports on the quality of St. Charles water annually. This report is sent to all residents and is also available here, on the City's web site. Please call Public Works at (630) 377-4405 for more information.

updated Nov 25, 2019