Charlestowne Mall - The Quad St. Charles
The owners of the Charlestowne Mall are planning to reinvent the site as The Quad St. Charles. With new outlot buildings completed along Main Street, the owners are in the planning stages for the redevelopment of the remainder of the property.
2017 Concept Plan:
A Concept Plan for the project was reviewed by the Plan Commission on April 18, 2017 and by the Planning & Development Committee of the City Council on May 8, 2017.
The Concept Plan review process enables property owners or developers to obtain informal feedback from City officials and the public before spending time and money to prepare detailed plans. The conclusion of the Concept Plan review is not a decision by the City, but simply information that the property owner or developer can use to decide whether to pursue the project further.
The Concept Plan for The Quad includes:
- Retaining the existing anchors- Von Maur, Carson Pirie Scott and Classic Cinemas.
- Keeping portions of the mall building, but significantly reducing the size of the building (including demolition of the the former Sears store, former Kohls store, the food court, and the eastern side of the mall)
- Constructing new entrances to create outward-facing front entries into the remaining mall building.
- Additional freestanding commercial buildings south of the mall, including the previously planned buildings along Main Street and additional buildings within the parking lots facing Main Street.
- Residential townhomes north of mall (155 townhome units)
- Residential apartments east of the mall (256 apartment units)
The Concept Plan can be viewed in the Project Documents menu.
- Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant recently opened adjacent to the western entrance drive off of Rt. 64/Main St.
- A Starbucks Coffee store with a drive-through is part of a two-unit building at the northeast corner of Rt. 64/Main St. and the central mall entrance drive.
The City's role in the Project:
The developer/property manager is The Krausz Companies, Inc., representing property owners SC Main 3800, LLC. The owners purchased the mall property in November 2013. The mall property is privately owned.
The City has been in communication with the owners and has helped to facilitate zoning and building approvals in support of the owner’s efforts. In 2013, the City approved zoning amendments to the Charlestowne Mall Planned Unit Development (PUD) to allow for outlot buildings to be constructed along the Main Street frontage of the property. Site improvements for the Main Street outlots, which included relocating the mall ring road and utilities for new building pads, were completed in 2015.
The City has not provided any financial assistance for the construction of the project. All improvements made at the site thus far (including the work to relocate the ring road) were completed by the property owner.
For more information on the project, please contact the Community & Economic Development Department at (630) 377-4443.