About the Electric Utility
The St. Charles Municipal Electric Utility began in 1892, when the City Council unanimously approved a payment to Phillip Harvey of $520 for preliminary work on a lighting plant that would establish a City electric utility with capacity to power 1,500 incandescent lights. Soon after, the entire male population of St. Charles (272) voted by a 2/3 majority to approve the plan and invest $20,000 in the building and steam generator.
The Electric Utility is staffed by full- and part-time employees in several operation groups that provide specialized services, including:
- An electric administration staff that handles the administrative functions such as personnel, budgeting, power purchases, rate design, interdepartmental cooperation, city wide goal setting and participation on city committees.
- The electric engineering group, responsible for system design, maintenance programs, system mapping, and adherence to codes and standards.
- An electric line area that constructs and maintains the electric infrastructure.
- The electric metering area that installs and maintains the metering equipment.
- A telecommunications group is responsible for the installation, operation and maintenance of the City owned telecommunications infrastructure.
Contact for Electric Outages
24 Hour Number - (866) 444-0016