About the Electric Utility
The St. Charles Municipal Electric Utility began in 1892, when the City Council unanimously approved a payment to Phillip Harvey of $520 for preliminary work on a lighting plant that would establish a City electric utility with capacity to power 1,500 incandescent lights. Soon after, the entire male population of St. Charles (272) voted by a 2/3 majority to approve the plan and invest $20,000 in the building and steam generator.
The Electric Utility is staffed by full- and part-time employees in several operation groups that provide specialized services, including:
- An electric administration staff that handles the administrative functions such as personnel, budgeting, power purchases, rate design, interdepartmental cooperation, city wide goal setting and participation on city committees.
- The electric engineering group, responsible for system design, maintenance programs, system mapping, and adherence to codes and standards.
- An electric line area that constructs and maintains the electric infrastructure.
- The electric metering area that installs and maintains the metering equipment.
- A telecommunications group is responsible for the installation, operation and maintenance of the City owned telecommunications infrastructure.
Contact for Electric Outages
24 Hour Number - (866) 444-0016
Beginning May 1, 2022, the City will no longer cover the Paymentus transaction fees for online utility bill payments. A convenience fee of $3.95 will be applied to all utility payments made online or over the phone through Paymentus.There are ways to pay your utility bill that do not incur the fee. Click here for more details.
The St. Charles Utility Billing office has received reports that residents are getting an automated call warning that their utilities will be turned off in the next hour if they don’t call back. Please be aware that we never demand immediate action or payment over the phone. If you receive a phone call about your utilities, always verify the validity by contacting our Utility Billing Office directly at 630.377.4426 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have the 16-digit account number at the top of your bill ready (where's my account number?)
New customer? Learn about setting up online access to your bill.
When paying online, you leave the City of St. Charles website and are redirected to the Paymentus website and are subject to Paymentus terms, policies, and availability.
If the Paymentus service is unavailable or you cannot complete your online payment through the Paymentus service, you are still responsible for timely payment of your City utility bill.