It's that time of year again, when little goblins and ghosts will be going door-to-door, trick-or-treating. The St. Charles Police Department recommends the following safety tips to help make the occasion safe and enjoyable:
- Trick-or-treating hours are from 3 to 7 p.m. on Oct. 31.
- Young children should be accompanied by their parents or another responsible adult.
- If there is a chance children will be out after dark, at least one member of each group should carry a flashlight.
- Teach and stress to children to watch for traffic.
- Walk only on sidewalks and cross the streets at intersections.
- Fit costumes properly to avoid tripping hazards and ensure the child has clear vision.
- Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
- Choose light colored costumes or add reflective tape or reflectors so they are visible.
Motorists should be especially observant and watch for children who are not being alert for cars. All residents are encouraged to turn on outside lights for the safety of the trick-or-treaters. Parents are reminded to close and lock their car and garage doors to avoid the opportunity of theft and vandalism.
Thanks for helping us make this a safe and fun-filled Halloween!
For more tips and guidelines on Halloween safety, please visit www.halloween-safety.com.