The new St. Charles Police Station at 1515 W. Main Street officially opened for business Monday, Sept. 16, 2019. The project was named a 2019 American Public Works Association Public Works Project of the Year in the $5 - $25 million structures category. This award promotes excellence in project management, safety, community relations, environmental impact, and construction innovation.The new 56,000 sq. ft. facility sits on 6.5 acres and replaces the former police station at 211 N. Riverside Ave., portions of which date back nearly 100 years. The City broke ground on the new facility in July 2018, and the $24.6 million project was completed ahead of schedule and under budget. The new facility will support the City’s policing operations for the next 50 years.
“The completion of this project is the direct result of the hard work and dedication of the entire project team,” said St. Charles Chief of Police James Keegan. “The City of St Charles, our residents and staff have a modern, efficient and 21st century police facility that the entire community will use and benefit from for generations to come.”
New St. Charles Police Station Features
- Brick, limestone and natural stone, with painted concrete and metal panels
- On-site Storm Water Detention System to provide regional detention capabilities
- Attached squad car garage
- Evidence room with bar-coding system
- Advanced lock-up facility, secured attorney/client area
- Modern layout with private and communal work spaces
- Training Room
- Wellness center/locker room
- Community room for public use
- LED for all interior lighting
Design: FGM Architects, Oak Brook, Ill.
Construction Management: Riley Construction, Lake Bluff, Ill.
Dedication Ceremony and Open House ws held Nov. 9, 2019
Former Police Station Facility
After many retrofitting attempts over the years, the former facility at 211 N. Riverside Ave. finally reached the end of its useful life as a police station. The City Council has not determined a future use for the property.