River East Lofts
July 2022 update: Revised applications and plans have been submitted for the River East Project.
River East Lofts is a proposed mixed-use building at the southeast corner of Illinois & Riverside Aves. The site is currently a parking lot with bank ATM and an office building (former location of the Chamber of Commerce). The proposed building would contain retail space and parking on the first floor and upper floor residential apartments- 42 total residential units. The applicant is STC 216, LLC.
Applications filed include:
- Special Use for PUD: To establish a PUD ordinance with unique zoning use and standards to accommodate the project.
- PUD Preliminary Plan: To approve the physical development of the property, including site, engineering, and landscape plans.
A previous version of the project was reviewed in March-April 2022. The revised version of the project includes the following changes:
- Reduction of the building height from 5 to 4 stories.
- Reduction of the unit count from 43 to 42 units. (Unit mix has changed from 27 one-bedroom/16 two-bedroom to 12 one-bedroom/30 two-bedroom.)
- Revised building architecture and reorientation of the building to follow Riverside Ave.
- Removal of the BMO ATM.
- Increase in parking spaces from 53 to 60.
Public Meeting Schedule:
For properties located within the Historic District, the Historic Preservation reviews zoning applications and provides a recommendation to the Plan Commission. The Historic Preservation Commission’s recommendation is to address the potential impact of the application on the historic resources of the City and the Historic District. Historic Preservation Commission recommended approval of the project.
Plan Commission held a public hearing regarding the zoning applications and provided a recommendation for approval, which will be forwarded to the Planning & Development Committee of the City Council.
Planning & Development Commitee- August 8, 2022- TO BE RESCHEDULED
Planning & Development Committee did not review the project at the August 8 meeting. At the request of the applicant, the project will be scheduled for a later meeting date (anticipated to be a Special P&D Committee meeting on an upcoming Monday).
Meeting information from previous version of the project- March-April 2022:
- Historic Preservation Commission review - March 16, 2022
- Plan Commission public hearing- March 22, 2022 and April 19, 2022
Meeting information from Concept Plan review- July-August 2021:
The Concept Plan review process enables developers to obtain informal feedback from City officials and the public. The conclusion of the Concept Plan review is not a decision by the City, but simply information that the developer can use to decide whether to pursue the project further. A Concept Plan for the project was reviewed in Summer 2021. Meeting information from the Concept Plan review can be reviewed here:
- Historic Preservation Commission: July 7, 2021
- Plan Commission: July 20, 2021
- Planning & Development Commitee: August 16, 2021.
For more information, contact the Community and Economic Development Department at (630) 377-4443 or email@example.com.