You are here

Cold Weather Can Mean Water Main Breaks and Frozen Pipes

Water main breaks are common in the colder weather. To report a water main break, call the Public Works Department at 630.377.4405. If it is after hours, you will be prompted to leave a voice message in the Drinking Water mailbox. Include your phone number and address and the public works staff member on call will get back to you.  

Sometimes when a main breaks, you notice rust-colored water. If this happens, simply turn on the cold water tap until the water runs clear. Rust-colored water is safe, but it may stain laundry. If that happens, keep clothes wet and treat them with stain remover. The city offers a stain remover at no cost to residents at: 

  • Public Works, 1405 S. Seventh Ave. 
  • City Hall, Reception Desk, 2 E. Main St. 
  • Police Department, 211 N. Riverside Ave. 

To avoid frozen water pipes, allow heated air to circulate around pipes and meters. Latch basement windows and vents to prevent drafts on pipes. When remodeling, do not locate water pipes against exterior concrete walls. If pipes have been frozen in the past, insulate problem areas, and leave cabinet doors open. Leave a faucet run at a fast drip to a slight trickle to allow the moving water to transfer heat to the pipe. If you have any questions, please contact the Public Works office at 630.377.4405. 

updated Dec 28, 2021