Development opportunities potentially will be available in the downtown—the Police Department relocating is one example. To prepare for this, the City is updating a portion of its 2013 Comprehensive Plan that focuses on the area shown.
Downtown Comprehensive Plan Update
East Side Study Area
- The Plan Commission recommendations for the East Side Study Area were presented to the City Council Planning & Development Committee on Sept. 9. The information is posted here.
- The Planning & Development Committee is expected to continue discussion of the Comprehensive Plan amendment at their meeting on Nov. 11.
West Side Study Area
- The Plan Commission will continue discussion of the West Side Study Area at their meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 22 at 7:00pm in the City Council Chambers.
- Information from the Sept. 3 Plan Commission meeting is posted here.
Meeting materials are available by 5:00pm on the Friday before each public meeting, and can be viewed on the Public Meetings page.
Background on the project:
Over the next few years, there may be development opportunities coming to the area north of Main Street and south of the old railroad bridge within our Downtown. On the east side, the Police Department will be leaving their current facility. Meanwhile, discussions are ongoing about the potential for pedestrian and recreational enhancement to the riverfront in this area.
In light of these changes, the City plans to update the vision laid out in the Downtown section of the 2013 Comprehensive Plan, which serves as the City’s long-range guide for development. The update will be specific to a focus area north of Main Street, between 2nd Avenue on the east and 4th Street on the west.
Plan updates have been drafted for review by the Plan Commission and City Council Planning & Development Committee. Formal adoption of the Comprehensive Plan amendment is expected in late 2019/early 2020.
Thank you to everyone who attended the April 24th Open House - your participation and feedback is appreciated. A summary and report of information gathered at the Open House has been posted in the Project Documents list (located on the right side of this page)
What will be updated in the plan?
The City is updating the Downtown Sub Area Plan of the 2013 Comprehensive Plan, specifically the "Catalyst Sites" map that identifies sites in the downtown area for potential redevelopment. The plan defines Catalyst Sites as Underutilized properties where redevelopment could have a catalytic impact on the surrounding area. The plan update will focus on underutilized sites north of Main Street. The scope of the update is anticipated to include:
- North of Main Street:
- Create a vision for riverfront parcels and adjacent blocks between 2nd Avenue and 4th Street.
- Identify development opportunities in response to the 2015 Fox River Corridor Plan and an Economic Impact Analysis of the plan, which was presented to Planning & Development Committee of the City Council on April 8, 2019.
- Identify future uses for the current Police Station and surrounding City-owned property.
- South of Main Street:
- Reflect progress on the First Street Redevelopment Project and other development activity that has occured in downtown in since 2013.
The complete 2013 Comprehensive Plan can be viewed here.