Housing is an essential component of the St. Charles community. With over 12,000 households, St. Charles offers a diverse stock of owner- and renter-occupied housing, from apartments and townhomes to single-family homes and senior housing. The City of St. Charles recognizes the importance of good quality, attainable housing options for our residents. As such, the City's housing efforts have focused on preserving and maintaining St. Charles' affordable housing stock.
Rental Assistance Program
Kane County renters and landlords in need of assistance may be eligible for the Illinois Rental Payment Program. For more information and to apply, visit www.ihda.org/about-ihda/illinois-rental-payment-program
The Housing Commission is a group of citizens appointed to:
- Preserve the existing affordable housing stock
- Promote public awareness of the need for affordable housing
- Encourage and guide market forces to build affordable housing
- Maintain/increase the availability of attainable/affordable housing for all members of the community by working with the private sector and major employers in the community.
- Assist City Council with the operation and implementation of the Housing Trust Fund.
The Housing Trust Fund was established by the City as a separate fund for the sole purpose of providing and preserving affordable housing opportunities in St. Charles. Housing Trust Fund resources are to be utilized to:
- Preserve and produce affordable housing
- Provide housing-related financial support and services to income-eligible households
- Provide financial support for non-profit organizations that actively address the affordable housing needs of income-eligible households.
The Inclusionary Housing Ordinance (IHO) was adopted to provide a mechanism for requiring new residential developments to include affordable dwelling units, or to pay a fee in-lieu of providing units. The IHO helps to ensure an adequate stock of affordable housing in St. Charles. Fee in-lieu contributions are placed in the Housing Trust Fund. The IHO offers several incentives to off-set the cost of developing affordable housing.