You are here

Public Works Engineering Division

Public Works Engineering Division The Public Works Engineering Division is responsible for providing engineering services for the City related to streets, sewers, water, traffic and stormwater management in relation to pollutant discharge reduction.  Engineering Division staff plan, manage, design and oversee construction in relation to the City's capital improvement budget, as well as a variety of additional technical and professional services.

Stormwater and Floodplain Management

The Public Works Engineering Division is responsible for oversight of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit from the Illinois EPA for discharges from its municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4), manages the City's Community Rating System (CRS) program and reviews and approves permits within the floodplain and floodway.

Pavement Management

City staff have developed a pavement management program, which outlines strategies and initiatives that staff are currently employing as we work to keep City streets safe for the motoring public.

Traffic Signals and Traffic Management

Any observed problems with traffic signals in St. Charles should be reported to the Engineering Office. We will either dispatch our maintenance contractor or forward the concern to the appropriate state or county agency.

Problems, concerns or questions regarding signals or roadway conditions can be forwarded by phone, fax, in person or e-mail.

Utilities and Information

The Public Works Engineering Division maintains records of utility, drainage and street projects. Many times, these are in the form of the original subdivision and land development drawings. Any resident interested in utility, street or drainage information can contact the Engineering Office to see what is available. The general rule of thumb is that the older the subdivision/neighborhood, the more difficulty we will have finding reliable information. Requests can by made by phone, fax, in person or e-mail.

E- Request

Call 811 or use JULIE’s free easy-to-use online form for simple non-emergency utility locate requests.

julie your one-call system 811