As part of the regular maintenance to the City’s water distribution system, the Public Works Water Division performs spring and fall hydrant flushing. Flushing hydrants (allowing water to flow rapidly through them) improves water quality and reduces mineral build-up in the water mains (pipes). Hydrant flushing also ensures that hydrants are ready for emergency use.
St. Charles is divided into quadrants for hydrant flushing: Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, and Northeast. Main Street (Illinois Route 64) divides the north/south quadrants, and the Fox River divides the east/west quadrants.
Spring 2020 Hydrant Flushing Schedule
- Northwest – Monday March 16 - Friday March 20
- Southwest – Monday March 23 - Friday March 27
- Southeast – Monday March 30 - Friday April 3
- Northeast (West of Dunham Road) – Monday April 6 - Friday April 10
- Northeast (East of Dunham Road) – Monday April 13 -Friday April 17
Watch for signs announcing hydrant flushing. Flushing may start as early at 5 a.m. and continue through 4 p.m.
Please note water is safe to use and consume during hydrant flushing. However, water may temporarily be discolored. During hydrant flushing:
- It is best to limit your water use, if possible.
- If you experience rusty water, wait until flushing has subsided then run the cold water tap in your bathtub or utility sink until it runs clear (or in 10 minute increments).
- Remember rust colored water is safe, but it may stain laundry. If this happens, keep clothes wet and treat them with stain remover.
The City offers a stain remover at no cost to residents at:
- Public Works, 1405 South 7th Avenue
- Municipal Building Reception Desk, 2 East Main Street
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at 630.377.4405 or firstname.lastname@example.org