As part of the regular maintenance to the City’s water distribution system, the Public Works Water Division performs spring and fall hydrant flushing. By simply flushing hydrants to allow water to flow rapidly through them [in a controlled manner], water quality is improved and mineral build-up in the water mains is minimized. Hydrant flushing also ensures that hydrants are ready for emergency use.
My Neighborhood on the City's website contains dates for neighborhood hydrant flushing events, or you can click on the map attached to the right. Hydrant flushing signs are also posted throughout the affected area.
St. Charles is divided into four quadrants for hydrant flushing: Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, and Northeast. Main Street (Illinois Route 64) divides the north/south quadrants, and the Fox River divides the east/west quadrants. The spring 2017 hydrant flushing schedule is as follows:
Northwest Quadrant – Monday, March 19 - Friday, March 23
Southwest Quadrant – Monday, March 26 - Friday, March 30
Southeast Quadrant – Monday, April 2 - Friday, April 6
Northeast Quadrant (West of Dunham Road) – Monday, April 9 - Friday, April 13
Northeast Quadrant (East of Dunham Road) – Monday April 16 -Friday April 20
Please watch for signs announcing hydrant flushing which will be posted by the Water Division. Flushing may start as early at 5 a.m. and continue through 4 p.m.
Flushing minimizes accumulations of insoluble iron from the inside of the water mains. Water is safe to use and consume during hydrant flushing, however, residents may temporarily experience rusty colored water. Public Works recommends residents take the following steps during hydrant flushing:
- It is best to limit your water use, if possible.
- If you experience rusty water, wait until flushing has subsided then run the cold water tap in your bathtub or utility sink until it runs clear (or in 10 minute increments).
- Remember rust colored water is safe, but it may stain laundry. If this happens, keep clothes wet and treat them with stain remover.
The City offers a stain removal product at no cost to residents at the following facilities:
- Public Works located at 1405 S. 7th Avenue
- City Hall Front Reception Desk located at 2 E. Main Street
- Police Department located at 211 N. Riverside Avenue
If you have any further questions, please contact Public Works at 630-377-4405 or firstname.lastname@example.org